PSAT Final Important Details for Test Date – Please Read Carefully
****PSAT will be held on Wednesday, October 11th in the Faith Academy gym****
FINAL CORRESPONDENCE FROM MRS. POAGE:
This email contains very important PSAT details for this coming Wednesday, October 11th. This test will be given in the gym at Faith Academy.
ALL Juniors are testing. The sophomores that signed up will be taking the PSAT also.
Please read this email completely and carefully to be sure you are fully ready for the test.
- The doors of the gym will open at 7:45am. Please arrive on time so you have a few minutes to find your desk, turn in your homework and get set up. We will begin promptly at 8:00 am. Please do not be late.
- Attendance is REQUIRED, just like any other school day. If you know that you will NOT be taking the PSAT, please reply to this email and let me know in advance. This is very important.
- Bring all of your homework that is due Wednesday and turn it in to the homework box as you enter the testing room (gym). You must turn in any work that is due on Wednesday before testing begins. Write your teacher’s name at the top of each assignment. Mrs. Fields will also be proctoring the PSAT and will turn your assignments in to the office for you.
- Testing Strategy: While taking the PSAT, answer ALL questions. Do NOT leave anything blank. If time is running out on a section, make sure no question is left blank.
- Bring a calculator that is fully charged or has new batteries. A graphing calculator is best but not required. You are welcome and encouraged to bring an extra calculator and batteries.
- Bring at least 2 #2 pencils. Mechanical pencils are NOT permitted.
- Bring an email address. If you do not have an email address, you may bring your parent’s email address. The answer document will ask for an email address.
- Get plenty of sleep. This is so very important! You can’t do your best without a full night’s rest.
- Eat a good breakfast before you come. No food in the testing room.
- Bring a water bottle with a lid. No other drinks permitted.
- You may bring a snack for the breaks. Please do not bring messy snacks. Fingerprints on the answer documents aren’t good.
- Subway will be available for lunch if you choose to order.
- It is best not to bring your cell phone. If you don’t have anywhere to leave it, you can check it in to Mrs. Poage and you will get it back once testing is complete.
- No smart watches, tablets, nooks, or any device that accesses the internet is allowed.
- You may wear a watch if it is silent. No beeping watches are allowed.
- Testing will take about 4 hours total. There is an information section that takes some time. Once finished, each student will help return the tables to the classrooms. We should finish by 12:15 or 12:30. Everyone will receive a 50 minute lunch from the time we finish moving tables.
- After lunch, you will be going to your afternoon classes. Your teachers will be informed as to what time to expect you in class so don’t be late.
- Service hours- We would greatly appreciate students and parents that would be willing to help move tables Tuesday after school at 4:00. We will set them outside the gym until after the volleyball game. We will also need people to help move them into the gym after the 6:00 varsity volleyball game that night. Please reply to this email if you can help at either time. It would be GREATLY appreciated!!
- If you are NOT a Faith Academy student (homeschoolers), please bring a form of ID. Valid government-issued photo ID (for students not testing at their own school and home-schooled students). If unavailable, students can use a notarized College Board ID form. See the attachment below.
- Remember, this is a great practice experience for all of you and you will love the score report that you receive when it is over. It will be valuable to you as you prepare to take the SAT. And juniors, this is your qualifying test for the National Merit Scholarship program so be prepared to do your best!
We will be praying for you and look forward to seeing you on Wednesday morning! Please let me know if you have any questions at all!
FIRST CORRESPONDENCE FROM MRS. POAGE:
All Faith Academy JUNIORS will be taking the test for free and will be eligible for the National Merit Scholarship Qualification (NMSQT.) Studying and practicing are essential to be in the running for NMSQT.
The PSAT for juniors is the qualifying test for the National Merit Scholarship. It is a great opportunity for you to study and see if you qualify for this prestigious honor that also comes with a great scholarship opportunity! Also, it is wonderful practice for the SAT.
See below for FREE online studying tools.
- Sophomores and homeschoolers are invited and are highly encouraged to take the test to get practice for their junior year PSAT/NMSQT and also their actual SAT.
- Sophomores and homeschoolers who would like to test need to fill out the PSAT Sign-Up Form 2017 and turn it in to the office by Friday, September 22nd. This form will indicate that you agree to have a $16 charge added to your FACTS account at Faith Academy.
- The PSAT is great practice tool for the SAT® and can connect students to a host of scholarship opportunities.
- The PSAT score report tells you what areas you are currently college-ready in and helps to advise you regarding AP courses.
- The official practice site for the PSAT: Khan Academy has teamed up with the College Board (makers of the PSAT). They provide all students with a great tutoring/practice program for the PSAT. It is free. www.khanacademy.org/sat
Free PSAT Tutoring! Beginning September 23rd, Kaplan’s highly-rated faculty will cover the most important PSAT content and tackle practice problems in several livestreaming, one-hour lessons. In addition, students will have access to online study content and detailed explanations to the official PSAT practice test. For more details and to register, please visit www.kaptest.com/psatpreplive.
- Each student will be given a Practice Booklet/ National Merit Guide. It is best to sit down and practice this as a timed test. Timing is a skill that needs to be practiced. If you do not receive your practice booklet in your English class next week, please let me know and I will get you one. Please encourage your student to study using this practice test and teach them to monitor and pace their time by watching a clock or watch.
TO SIGN UP: FA sophomores, please fill out the PSAT Sign-Up Form 2017 and bring it by the office by September 22nd or scan and email it back to Mrs. Poage at email@example.com.
Homeschoolers: Please bring a check in the amount of $16 and your form to the Faith Academy office by September 22nd.
If you have any questions or not need more information, please contact Nicole Poage, Counselor/ Testing Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 830-798-1333.