Portrait of a Faith Academy Board Member
This following list of characteristics has been compiled by the members of the Faith Academy School Board as a tool to guide discussions regarding potential new Board Members and to assist in new and current Board Member training. The standard articulated is high and should be read as an ideal to which we aspire rather than a list of strict requirements.
A Faith Academy School board member should be:
- A diligent student of God’s word and one who endeavors to walk in step with the Holy Spirit;
- Well versed and committed to the University Model and to Christian education;
- Committed to pray for those board members with whom he/she serves, for the school administrator, for the faculty and staff, for the students and families of the school, and for Faith Academy’s ministry in the community;
- Respectful of those in authority and willing to listen and learn from others viewpoints;
- Committed to punctual and consistent attendance at board and committee meetings;
- One who understands that board members have authority to make decisions only within the confines of a board meeting;
- One who expresses views and differences of opinion constructively and with grace. Once the board has discussed and voted on an issue and regardless of his personal vote on that issue, he/she will publically support the board’s action;
- Characterized by good judgment, sound common sense and a love of excellence;
- One who understands that the principle under which the Faith Academy Board operates is Philippians 2:1-7. “Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having he same love, being one in the Spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests, but each of you to the interests of the others. In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus; Who, being in very nature God did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant…”
Faith Academy School board members and their spouses should:
- Be active members in the body of Christ;
- Provide their children a loving and stable home environment;
- Train and raise their children in the “fear and admonition of the Lord” – keeping their eyes on the kind of adults they want their children to be rather than getting caught up in the inconsequential issues of childhood;
- Be grace filled followers of Jesus Christ who enjoy a relationship with their Lord and His Body, the church;
- Obey the policies and procedures of the school, especially with respect to conflict resolution and gossip, and avoid the reality or appearance of preferential treatment by either faculty or administration;
- Be characterized by support of the school and its policies in their communications with others;
- Be characterized by high integrity, trustworthiness and the ability to keep confidences; and
- Be willing to take on the responsibility and be held accountable for being role models to other parents in our school.
- Is responsible for ensuring that the school operates in a fiscally sound manner.
Click on the following link for a printable version of Portrait of a Faith Academy Board Member.